Our Progress

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Graduated to once a month visits

Karen: Nearly 15 weeks now, trucking along...SLOWLY. Still having green moments here and there, but mostly just exhausted, having lost all stamina to the 10 weeks of sedentary life.

Saw my OB today. The nurse called me "sparkly" - so maybe I'm starting to glow a little bit? She says I only need to come every four weeks now, which officially takes me out of the high risk category! Well, that is until the end of the pregnancy when my VBAC (vaginal birth after cesarean) attempt puts me back into the high risk category. We discussed attempting the VBAC and the risks. I was surprised to learn that I would be on a sort of time limit for labor (14 hours) and that she'd use pitocin to speed things up if needed. Not really thrilled about that as I wanted things to go as naturally as possible. Pitocin pretty much guarantees the use of an epidural. Ah well, whatever it takes to avoid the dreaded c-section again!

Not much else to report. Gender prediction happens in less than a month!! Until then, just counting down the days...

4 comments:

  1. Hooray for being out of the "high risk" category! That's great, Karen! Keep up the good work!

    If you get Pitocin, you're going to want to get the epidural - it SUCKS. But, like pregnancy, it's temporary, so that's at least a good thing.

    Hope you're having a good week! We have another ultrasound on Monday, where they are supposed to confirm gender prediction - hopefully there won't be any surprises there!
    XOXOX

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy to hear that you're coming out of the green! I've officially added your blog to my bookmarks, so I can stop searching my old emails every few days for the link. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. About the VBAC, which I´m also going for, I´m going to stay home as long as possible so that I have more time once I´m in the hospital. I´m not above lying to them about how long I´d been in labor prior to arriving at the hospital. Silly arbitrary time constraints, according to sources online .

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree! I thought for sure they'd let me labor for 24 hours. 14 hours is too short!

    ReplyDelete